The Breeze (Andover)

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to navigation Jump to search

The Breeze
The Breeze logo.PNG
Broadcast area North West Hampshire
Frequency 106.4 MHz
First air date May 2008
Format Adult Contemporary
Owner Celador
Website The Breeze

The Breeze (formerly Andover Sound) is an independent local radio station serving Andover & North West Hampshire and parts of East Wiltshire. The station is owned & operated by Celador Radio and is part of The Breeze network of stations. It broadcasts from studios at Eastgate House in Andover.

History

Originally launched in May 2008 as Andover Sound by ITV regional news presenter Ian Axton (now of ITV West Country), who owned a majority 80% stake in the station with the remaining 20% owned by Tindle Radio. Andover Sound bought out Kick FM, a station serving Newbury & West Berkshire, in June 2009 - it was rebranded as Newbury Sound a month later.

Both Andover and Newbury stations were sold to Celador in August 2011. On 12 March 2012, Celador announced Newbury Sound and Andover Sound would be rebranded as The Breeze, falling in line with an existing network of stations serving South Hampshire and the West of England (Bristol, Somerset and West Wiltshire). The rebrand took place on Monday 2 April 2012.[1]

In January 2012, the Newbury station was co-located to Andover Sound's studios. However, Breakfast and weekday drivetime programming is now presented from Basingstoke with networked output from Southampton broadcast during off-peak hours.

Awards

As Andover Sound, the station won various radio industry awards, including a New York Festivals News/Documentary Special accolade in July 2009 for Remembering Jamie, a half-hour programme on the sudden death of a local teenager. Andover Sound was also named as the Radio Academy South Station of the Year in December 2009.

At the 2010 Sony Radio Academy Awards, Andover Sound won silver in the News Journalist of the Year category (for editor Ben McGrail & journalist Faye Marsh) and was nominated in the Station of the Year (300,000 or fewer listeners) category.[2][3] In June 2010, the station was named as the Arqiva Commercial Radio Station of the Year (300,000 or fewer listeners).[4][5]

References

  1. ^ "Andover Sound and Newbury Sound to become The Breeze". Radio Today. Retrieved 12 March 2012.
  2. ^ "Andover Sound Nominated". Andover Sound. 8 April 2010. Retrieved 12 April 2010.
  3. ^ "Sony Radio Academy Awards Nominees". Daily Telegraph. UK. 8 April 2010. Retrieved 12 April 2010.
  4. ^ "UK Station of the Year". Andover Sound. 18 June 2010. Retrieved 1 July 2010.
  5. ^ "Arqiva Winners". Independent. 18 June 2010. Retrieved 1 July 2010.

External links

  • Official website

Coordinates: 51°12′21″N 1°28′44″W / 51.20583°N 1.47889°W / 51.20583; -1.47889

Retrieved from "https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=The_Breeze_(Andover)&oldid=843458509"
This content was retrieved from Wikipedia : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Breeze_(Andover)
This page is based on the copyrighted Wikipedia article "The Breeze (Andover)"; it is used under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License (CC-BY-SA). You may redistribute it, verbatim or modified, providing that you comply with the terms of the CC-BY-SA