Nigeria Airways Flight 2120

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to navigation Jump to search

Nigeria Airways Flight 2120
Nationair DC-8-61 C-GMXQ FAO 1989.png
C-GMXQ, the aircraft involved in the accident, is seen here at Faro Airport in 1989.
Date 11 July 1991
Summary Under-inflated tire which overheated, leading to a fire shortly after takeoff
Site King Abdulaziz International Airport, Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
21°38′13″N 39°10′23″E / 21.63694°N 39.17306°E / 21.63694; 39.17306Coordinates: 21°38′13″N 39°10′23″E / 21.63694°N 39.17306°E / 21.63694; 39.17306
Aircraft type Douglas DC-8-61
Operator Nationair on behalf of Nigeria Airways
Registration C-GMXQ
Flight origin King Abdulaziz International Airport, Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
Destination Sadiq Abubakar III International Airport, Sokoto, Nigeria
Passengers 247
Crew 14
Fatalities 261
Survivors 0

Nigeria Airways Flight 2120 was a chartered passenger flight from Jeddah, Saudi Arabia, to Sokoto, Nigeria on 11 July 1991, which crashed shortly after takeoff from King Abdulaziz International Airport, killing all 247 passengers and 14 crew members on board. The aircraft was a Douglas DC-8 operated by Nationair for Nigeria Airways. Flight 2120 is the deadliest accident involving a DC-8 and remains the deadliest aviation disaster involving a Canadian airline.[1]

Aircraft and crew

The aircraft involved in the accident was a Douglas DC-8-61, registration C-GMXQ, built in 1968, owned by the Canadian company Nolisair, and usually operated by Nationair. At the time of the accident, it was being wet-leased to Nigeria Airways, which in turn sub-leased it to another company to transport Nigerian pilgrims to and from Mecca.[2] William Allan, the 47-year-old pilot in command, a former Canadian Air Force pilot, had logged 10,700 flight hours and 1000 hours in type. Kent Davidge, the 36-year-old first officer, had logged 8,000 flight hours, of which 550 hours were in type, and Victor Fehr, the 46-year-old flight engineer, had logged 7,500 flight hours, of which 1000 hours were in type.[1][3][4] The DC-8 was the primary aircraft type used by the airline.[5]


The aircraft departed King Abdulaziz International Airport bound for Sadiq Abubakar III International Airport in Sokoto, but problems were reported shortly after takeoff.[2][6] The crew attempted to return to the airport for an emergency landing, but the aircraft, which was already on fire,[1] experienced an inflight break-up, and crashed 2,875 metres (9,432 ft) short of the runway.[3] When the aircraft was about 18 kilometres (11 mi) from the airport and at an altitude of 671 metres (2,201 ft), a number of bodies fell from it, indicating that the fire by that time had consumed, at least partially, the cabin floor.[3] All 261 occupants on board—including 247 passengers—perished in the accident.[2][6][7] As of July 2017, the accident remains the deadliest crash involving a Douglas DC-8,[8] as well as the second-deadliest accident taking place on Saudi Arabian soil,[9] after Saudia Flight 163.[10]


Prior to departure, the lead mechanic had noticed that the "#2 and #4 tyre pressures were below the minimum for flight dispatch"[6] and attempted to inflate them, but no nitrogen gas was readily available, and the project manager, unwilling to accept a delay, disregarded the problem and readied the aircraft for dispatch.[3] As the aircraft was taxiing, the transfer of the load from the under-inflated No. 2 tire to the No. 1 tire on the same portside axle resulted "in overdeflection, over-heating and structural weakening of the No. 1 tyre."[6] "The No. 1 tyre failed very early on the take-off roll", followed almost immediately by the No. 2.[6] The latter stopped rotating "for reasons not established", and the subsequent friction of the wheel assembly with the runway generated sufficient heat to start a self-sustaining fire.[6] The crew realised there was a problem, but not the nature or seriousness of it. The aircraft was not equipped with fire or heat sensors in the wheel assembly. The first officer was recorded remarking, "We gotta flat tire, you figure?"[3] According to Canadian Transportation Safety Board members interviewed for an episode of Mayday about the accident, standard procedures regarding tire failure during the takeoff roll on the DC-8 did not include rejecting takeoff for tire or wheel failures,[1] so the captain proceeded with the takeoff.

When the landing gear was retracted, "burning rubber was brought into close proximity with hydraulic and electrical system components", causing the failure of both hydraulic and pressurisation systems that led to structural damage and loss of control of the aircraft.[11][3] The Transportation Safety Board later concluded, "had the crew left the landing gear extended, the accident might have been averted".[3] Fuel, "probably introduced as a result of 'burn through' of the centre fuel tank",[6] intensified the fire, which eventually consumed the cabin floor. People began falling out of the aircraft when their seat harnesses burned through. "Despite the considerable destruction to the airframe, the aircraft appeared to have been controllable until just before the crash."[3]

It was discovered during the investigation that mechanics had known about the under-inflated tires since 7 July but the project manager, who had no relevant training to inform his decisions, had prevented maintenance on the tires because the aircraft was behind schedule, leading them to record false pressure readings in the log to make the aircraft seem airworthy.[1]


Soon after the accident, a group of Toronto-based Nationair flight attendants pooled funds to create a memorial plaque, inscribed with the names of the victims. The memorial, complete with a cherry tree planted to commemorate their colleagues who died in Jeddah, was given a permanent home at the head office of the Greater Toronto Airports Authority.[12]

The aircrash, combined with Nationair's poor reputation for on-time service and mechanical problems, led to serious problems with public image and reliability among tour operators. These difficulties were compounded when Nationair locked out its unionised flight attendants and proceeded to replace them with strikebreakers on 19 November 1991. The lock-out lasted 15 months and by the time it ended in early 1993, Nationair found itself in severe financial trouble. At the time, Nationair owed the Canadian government millions of dollars in unpaid landing fees. Creditors began seizing aircraft and demanded cash up front for services. The company was declared bankrupt in May 1993, owing CDN$75 million.[13]

In 1997, Robert Obadia, owner of Nationair and its parent company Nolisair, pleaded guilty to eight counts of fraud in relation to the company's activities.[14]


An episode of Mayday entitled "Under Pressure" covered this accident.[1]

See also


  1. ^ a b c d e f "Under Pressure". Mayday (Air Crash Investigation) (television program). Cineflex, National Geographic Channel.
  2. ^ a b c "Headlines – Confusion over Saudi DC-8 crash". Flight International. 140 (4276): 4. 17–23 July 1991. ISSN 0015-3710. Archived from the original on 13 January 2015. Retrieved 15 June 2012.
  3. ^ a b c d e f g h "Tire Failure on Takeoff Sets Stage for Fatal Inflight Fire and Crash" (PDF). Flight Safety Foundation. September 1993. Archived from the original (PDF) on 12 July 2018.
  4. ^ "Nationair Crash Memorial Page". Nationair Canada History on the Web. 27 January 2013. Archived from the original on 10 October 2014. Retrieved 27 June 2013. [unreliable source?]
  5. ^ William Fowler. "Under Pressure". Mayday (Air Crash Investigation) (television program). Cineflex, National Geographic Channel. The DC-8 was the primary aircraft for Nationair.
  6. ^ a b c d e f g Accident description at the Aviation Safety Network. Retrieved on 11 April 2013.
  7. ^ "Catastrophe aérienne de Djeddah: 261 morts" [Jeddah air crash: 261 dead]. Le Monde (in French). 13 July 1991. Archived from the original on 15 June 2012. Retrieved 15 June 2012.
  8. ^ "Accident record for the Douglas DC-8". Aviation Safety Network. Retrieved 30 July 2017.
  9. ^ "Aviation accidents record for Saudi Arabia". Aviation Safety Network. Retrieved 30 July 2017.
  10. ^ Accident description for HZ-AHK at the Aviation Safety Network. Retrieved on 24 June 2012.
  11. ^ "Airline safety review – Fatal accidents: Non-scheduled passenger flights" (PDF). Flight International: 22. 29 January – 4 February 1992. Archived from the original on 15 June 2012. Retrieved 15 June 2012.
  12. ^ "Anniversary of Nationair plane crash passes quietly". CTV News. The Canadian Press. 10 July 2011. Archived from the original on 15 August 2013. Retrieved 11 September 2014.
  13. ^ "Nationair plie bagages" (in French). CBC Digital Archives. 12 May 1993. Archived from the original on 19 March 2014.
  14. ^ "Robert Obadia doit verser 234 000 $ à ses créanciers". Radio-Canada Nouvelles (in French). 21 August 1998. Archived from the original on 24 December 2013. Retrieved 15 August 2013.

External links

  • Cockpit Voice Recorder Database
  • Nationair history site
  • "261 Die as a Flight For Muslim Pilgrims Crashes Near Jidda: 261 REPORTED DEAD IN JETLINER CRASH". The New York Times (Vol. 140, Issue 48, 659). NYTimes Co. The Associated Press. 12 July 1991. Retrieved 24 September 2016.
  • Accident history for King Abdulaziz International Airport at Aviation Safety Network
Retrieved from ""
This content was retrieved from Wikipedia :
This page is based on the copyrighted Wikipedia article "Nigeria Airways Flight 2120"; it is used under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License (CC-BY-SA). You may redistribute it, verbatim or modified, providing that you comply with the terms of the CC-BY-SA