International reactions to the September 2016 North Korean nuclear test

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

International reactions to the September 2016 North Korean nuclear test were nearly unanimous in their condemnation and denunciation of the test. All of the countries that have made public statements about this nuclear test were critical of North Korea, but not all countries have made public statements about this test.

States

  •  AustraliaPrime Minister Malcolm Turnbull spoke to reporters in Micronesia describing the test as a "reckless, provocative dangerous action". He further explained that the UN Security Council had already considered eight breaches by North Korea prior to this test. "The recklessness of North Korea puts the world's peace at risk", he said, adding "It's persistent, it's provocative, it's dangerous." From London, Foreign Minister Julie Bishop said it was "extremely destabilising behaviour" and that the test was in "flagrant breach of numerous security council resolutions". "We condemn in the strongest possible terms this further provocative action by North Korea." She further added that China's response (which had not been issued at the time) would be sought to the action, noting that the country had a "special role to play, given its proximity to the North Korean regime".[1]
  •  CanadaCanadian Minister of Foreign Affairs Stéphane Dion issued a statement condemning the nuclear test "Canada condemns in the strongest terms North Korea’s announced detonation of a nuclear ‘warhead.’". Adding Canada's continuing support of South Korea, Japan, in the Asia-Pacific region.[2]
  •  China – The Ministry of Foreign Affairs issued a statement condemning the latest nuclear test, criticising North Korea for "disregarding" the international objections. The statement repeated China's previous calls for North Korea to cease any behaviour that "worsens the situation" in the Korean Peninsula and declared its "resolute opposition" to the test.[3]
  •  Germany – The German government strongly condemned the test, calling it a "provocation" and accusing North Korea of "irresponsibly causing further destabilization in North East Asia"; the North Korean ambassador in Berlin was summoned for talks.[4]
  •  IndiaMinistry of External Affairs spokesman Vikas Swarup condemned the test saying, "It is a matter of grave concern that DPRK (North Korea) has again acted in violation of its international obligations and in contravention of the objective of the de-nuclearization of the Korean peninsula that the DPRK itself has endorsed." He also called on the DPRK to cease activities which adversely impact peace and stability in the region.[5]
  •  Israel – A statement released by the Israeli Ministry of Foreign Affairs said "Israel condemns the nuclear test by North Korea". The statement also called the atomic tests "contrary to international norms and UN Security Council decisions", and urged "continued action by the international community against proliferation" by Pyongyang.[6]
  •  Italy – The Italian Minister of Foreign Affairs Paolo Gentiloni declared in an official statement that "Italy condemns the nuclear test carried out by the Democratic People's Republic of Korea, which threatens Asia and world peace". The statement described the test as "a new clear violation of the relevant resolutions of the UN Security Council and a serious threat to peace and regional and international security". The Minister announced that Italy will contribute to a cohesive and firm reaction by the international community.[7]
  •  Japan – In a press conference, Prime Minister Shinzō Abe stated the nuclear test is "not allowed" and "simply cannot be justified".[8] Abe has also contacted Barack Obama by phone on the test and called for an emergency Security Council meeting on September 10. The Ministry of Foreign Affairs later issued an official statement protesting the test, calling it a "clear violation of UN Security Council resolutions".[9]
  •  Malaysia – The Malaysian Foreign Affairs Ministry released a statement: "Malaysia strongly condemns the nuclear test conducted by the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) on 9 September 2016. The second nuclear test by the DPRK within this year is another flagrant violation of the relevant United Nations Security Council resolutions and a grave threat to international peace and security. Malaysia deeply regrets this latest incident which has exacerbated the already tense situation in the region. Malaysia urges the DPRK to desist from conducting further tests and halt its nuclear and ballistic missile programme. Malaysia further urges DPRK to uphold its international obligations, with a view to maintaining regional and international peace and security".[10]
  •  Russia – The Russian Foreign Ministry released a statement reading: "This defiance of the international law norms and the world community's opinion deserves the strongest condemnation. North Korea's actions, aimed at undermining the global nonproliferation regime, pose a serious threat to peace and security on the Korean Peninsula and in the Asia-Pacific region. This will have negative consequences primarily for North Korea itself. We insist that the North Korean side should stop its dangerous adventures, strictly comply with all the UN Security Council requirements, completely abandon its nuclear missile programs and return to the Treaty on the Non-Proliferation of Nuclear Weapons."[11]
  •  Singapore – The Singapore Ministry of Foreign Affairs published the following statement: "Singapore is deeply concerned and extremely disappointed by the Democratic People's Republic of Korea's (DPRK) conduct of yet another nuclear test on 9 September 2016. This deliberate and provocative act seriously jeopardises the peace and stability of the region. These actions, including the recent missile tests, are flagrant breaches of the relevant United Nations Security Council resolutions, including resolution 2270 adopted in March 2016. We strongly urge the DPRK to desist from such actions, and reiterate our long-standing call for the DPRK to abide by its international obligations and commitments. The DPRK can share in our region's peace and prosperity only if it changes course and works to integrate itself with the region. Singapore intends to make its views known to the DPRK government through its Ambassador in Singapore."[12]
  •  South Korea
    A B-1B Lancer, escorted by F-16 Fighting Falcons, performs a flyover of South Korea as a response to the test
    Prime Minister Hwang Kyo-ahn of South Korea called an emergency meeting of the National Security Council, while President Park Geun-hye cut short a visit to Laos.[8] Park stated that the latest test will only bring "more intensified sanctions" and "deeper isolation" to North Korea, hastening its "eventual self-destruction"[8] and said that the test demonstrated the "maniacal recklessness" of North Korean dictator Kim Jong-un.[13]
  •  Republic of China (Taiwan) – The Ministry of Foreign Affairs issued a statement condemning the nuclear test. The statement reiterated Taiwan's support for denuclearisation in East Asia and called for North Korea to adhere to UN Security Council resolutions. The ministry also urged peaceful dialogue to resolve conflicts in the Korean Peninsula.[14]
  •  Turkey – The Foreign Ministry issued a statement: "We are concerned to learn that the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) has conducted its fifth nuclear test today (9 September). Being an active supporter of endeavors against proliferation of weapons of mass destruction and their means of delivery, Turkey strongly condemns this test, as well as the ballistic missile launches of 5 September and considers them a threat to regional as well as international peace and security. We expect DPRK to immediately fulfill its international commitments."[15]
  •  United Kingdom – Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson said in a statement: “These reports are of grave concern. The United Kingdom strongly condemns North Korea for conducting a further nuclear test, which is a flagrant violation of UN Security Council Resolutions and a threat to regional peace and stability. Together with the Australian Foreign Minister I have spoken this morning to the Japanese Foreign Minister, and the UK will be consulting other international partners on a robust response”.[16]
  •  United States – The White House released a statement from President Obama stating in part: "the United States does not, and never will, accept North Korea as a nuclear state. Far from achieving its stated national security and economic development goals, North Korea's provocative and destabilizing actions have instead served to isolate and impoverish its people through its relentless pursuit of nuclear weapons and ballistic missile capabilities. Today's nuclear test, a flagrant violation of multiple UN Security Council Resolutions, makes clear North Korea's disregard for international norms and standards for behavior and demonstrates it has no interest in being a responsible member of the international community".[17] The military officials of the ROK-US Combined Forces Command announced that the U.S. will dispatch the USS Ronald Reagan carrier strike group to the Korean Peninsula next month to deter further military provocations by North Korea following the nuclear test.[18]
  •  Vietnam – Vietnam's Ministry of Foreign Affairs Spokesperson Le Hai Binh said in a statement: "The test seriously violates relevant resolutions of the United Nations Security Council (UNSC), increasing tensions and threatening peace and stability in the region. It is a consistent policy of Vietnam to support denuclearization in the Korean Peninsula, support comprehensive nuclear test ban, non-proliferation of nuclear weapons and towards nuclear disarmament. Vietnam urges all related parties to strictly comply with the UNSC resolutions and carry out practical actions to boost peace and stability in the Korean Peninsula".[19]

Organizations

References

  1. ^ Anderson, Stephanie (10 September 2016). "North Korea confirms nuclear warhead tested; South criticises Kim Jong-un's 'maniacal recklessness'". ABC News. ABC News (Australia). Retrieved 11 September 2016. 
  2. ^ "Minister Dion condemns North Korean nuclear test". Global Affairs Canada. Government of Canada. September 9, 2016. Archived from the original on September 10, 2016. Retrieved May 26, 2017. 
  3. ^ "The Latest: China formally protests North Korea nuclear test". 
  4. ^ "Bundesregierung bestellt nordkoreanischen Botschafter ein". Spiegel Online (in German). 9 September 2016. Retrieved 9 September 2016. 
  5. ^ Roche, Elizabeth (9 September 2016). "India condemns North Korean nuclear test". Mint. Retrieved 12 September 2016. 
  6. ^ "Israel condemns North Korea nuclear test, urges world to act". Times of Israel. 
  7. ^ "Corea del Nord: l'Italia condanna il nuovo test nucleare". Farnesina: Ministero degli Affari Esteri e della Cooperazione Internazionale. 
  8. ^ a b c Sang-Hun, Choe; Perlez, Jane (8 September 2016). "North Korea Claims Success in Latest Nuclear Test". The New York Times. Retrieved 9 September 2016. 
  9. ^ "Foreign Ministry protests N.Korea nuclear test". NHK World – English. 2016-09-09. 
  10. ^ "Press Release: Nuclear Test by the Democratic People's Republic of Korea". Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Malaysia. 9 September 2016. Retrieved 13 September 2016. 
  11. ^ James Masters, North Korea nuclear test: is the only option left to cut off the power?, CNN (September 9, 2016).
  12. ^ MFA Press Statement: Democratic People's Republic of Korea's Nuclear Test on 9 September 2016 – MFA Singapore, 9 Sep 2016
  13. ^ Song Jung-a, North Korea condemned for fifth nuclear test: International backlash after Pyongyang conducts largest explosion to date, Financial Times (September 9, 2016).
  14. ^ 中華民國政府譴責北韓核試挑釁行為Ministry of Foreign Affairs (Republic of China), 9 Sep 2016
  15. ^ "No: 224, 9 September 2016, Press Release Regarding Nuclear Test Conducted by the Democratic People's Republic of Korea". Ministry of Foreign Affairs. September 9, 2016. 
  16. ^ "Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson condemns North Korea nuclear test". Government of the United Kingdom. 9 September 2016. Retrieved 13 September 2016. 
  17. ^ Statement by the President on North Korea's Nuclear Test, White House Office of the Press Secretary (September 9, 2016).
  18. ^ "U.S. aircraft carrier to take part in S. Korean drills in mid-Oct.". Yonhap News. 11 September 2016. 
  19. ^ "Vietnam "seriously concerned" about DPRK nuclear test: spokesperson". Global Times. 10 September 2016. Retrieved 13 September 2016. 
  20. ^ "Statement by the High Representative/Vice-President Federica Mogherini on the nuclear test in the DPRK". European External Action Service (EEAS). 
Retrieved from "https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=International_reactions_to_the_September_2016_North_Korean_nuclear_test&oldid=798707280"
This content was retrieved from Wikipedia : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_reactions_to_the_September_2016_North_Korean_nuclear_test
This page is based on the copyrighted Wikipedia article "International reactions to the September 2016 North Korean nuclear test"; it is used under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License (CC-BY-SA). You may redistribute it, verbatim or modified, providing that you comply with the terms of the CC-BY-SA