1993 Jolimont Centre siege

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to navigation Jump to search

Coordinates: 35°16′40″S 149°07′44″E / 35.2777°S 149.1289°E / -35.2777; 149.1289

Jolimont Centre siege
Jolimont Centre siege 1993.jpg
Location Jolimont Centre, Canberra, Australia
Date November 29, 1993
7:30 a.m.-9:30 a.m.
Attack type
Hostage-taking, shooting, bombing
Weapons 12 gauge shotgun
Deaths 1 (the perpetrator)
Non-fatal injuries
Perpetrator Felipe Ruizdiaz

In November 1993 an event known as "The Jolimont Centre siege" took place resulting in the serious wounding on one person and the death of another over the course of two hours. The centre was set on fire and extensive damage was caused by a lone gunman.[1]

The Jolimont Centre, located in Canberra, the Australian Capital Territory was the home of the Department of Industrial Relations and radio station 2CA.


About 7:30 a.m., on November 29, 1993, 47-year-old Felipe Ruizdiaz shot and wounded local pool manager, Geoff McGibbon, at the Dickson Swimming Pool in Canberra before crashing his utility vehicle rigged with petrol and gas canisters through the front glass walls of the six storey Jolimont Centre, home of the Department of Industrial Relations in Canberra in an apparent revenge attack on his estranged wife. Ruizdiaz threw several petrol bombs and shot at the responding fire brigade and police officers.[1][2]

During the resulting two-hour siege, Ruizdiaz shot at police and rescue workers using his 12-gauge shotgun before setting fire to the building and killing himself.[3] The fire and explosions hampered rescue and police efforts and caused several million dollars worth of damage to the centre,[1] impacting on the building's owner—AMP Limited—and its tenants.[4]

Two local radios stations and numerous employees were inside the centre at the time requiring tactical police to assists in their evacuation. After several explosions, which resulted in the street being showered with broken glass, Australian Federal Police Special Operations Team wearing breathing apparatus entered the centre, eventually locating the deceased gunman with shotgun wounds to his stomach and his body badly burned.[1]

See also


  1. ^ a b c d http://www.disasters.ema.gov.au/Browse%20Details/DisasterEventDetails.aspx?DisasterEventID=1493 Archived July 6, 2011, at the Wayback Machine.
  2. ^ "Siege Man Sent Note, Flowers". The Sydney Morning Herald. 1 December 1993. Archived from the original on 4 February 2014.
  3. ^ Exhibition 1993
  4. ^ Clack, Peter (8 December 1993). "Jolimont IR workers take 'early holidays'". The Canberra Times. p. 3.

External links

  • Images and news coverage of the 1993 Jolimont siege
Retrieved from "https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=1993_Jolimont_Centre_siege&oldid=830036654"
This content was retrieved from Wikipedia : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1993_Jolimont_Centre_siege
This page is based on the copyrighted Wikipedia article "1993 Jolimont Centre siege"; it is used under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License (CC-BY-SA). You may redistribute it, verbatim or modified, providing that you comply with the terms of the CC-BY-SA