1971–72 in English football

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The 1971–72 season was the 92nd season of competitive football in England.

Football League

First Division

Brian Clough, 37, won the first major trophy of his managerial career by guiding Derby County to their first ever league championship. They overcame Leeds United, Liverpool and Manchester City to win a four-horse race, with only a single point separating them. It was so close that when Manchester City won their last game of the season—against Derby—they were top of the league by a point but had no chance of actually being champions, as Derby and Liverpool were still to play each other, and both had a superior goal average.

There were later bribery allegations from The Sun newspaper regarding Leeds manager Don Revie, who stood accused of attempting to bribe Wolverhampton Wanderers on the final day of the season in an attempt to win the league title. Captain Billy Bremner won a high court battle to clear his name of the allegations, with evidence provided by Wolves striker Derek Dougan. Although Leeds failed to win the league, they did win the FA Cup for the first time of their history.

Stoke City finally got their hands on some silverware after a century of trying, by winning the League Cup.

Manchester United started the season well under new manager Frank O'Farrell and topped the league for a while, but then lost seven league games in a row and finished eighth in the final table. Troubled winger George Best was dropped from the team towards the end of the season after failing to turn up for training, the latest controversy to surround the hugely popular Northern Irish star, whose excellent early season form had fuelled United's title hopes.

Nottingham Forest and Huddersfield Town lost their First Division status. By the end of the decade, Forest had made an explosive comeback to the top flight under Brian Clough. 1971–72 was Huddersfield's last season in the top flight to date, and within a few seasons they would be in the Fourth Division – most of their existence since 1972 has been spent in the league's third tier, with seventeen seasons being spent in the second and six in the bottom.

Pos Club P W D L F A GA Pts
1 Derby County 42 24 10 8 69 33 2.091 58
2 Leeds United 42 24 9 9 73 31 2.355 57
3 Liverpool 42 24 9 9 64 30 2.133 57
4 Manchester City 42 23 11 8 77 45 1.711 57
5 Arsenal 42 22 8 12 58 40 1.450 52
6 Tottenham Hotspur 42 19 13 10 63 42 1.500 51
7 Chelsea 42 18 12 12 58 49 1.184 48
8 Manchester United 42 19 10 13 69 61 1.131 48
9 Wolverhampton Wanderers 42 18 11 13 65 57 1.140 47
10 Sheffield United 42 17 12 13 61 60 1.017 46
11 Newcastle United 42 15 11 16 49 52 0.942 41
12 Leicester City 42 13 13 16 41 46 0.891 39
13 Ipswich Town 42 11 16 15 39 53 0.736 38
14 West Ham United 42 12 12 18 47 51 0.922 36
15 Everton 42 9 18 15 37 48 0.771 36
16 West Bromwich Albion 42 12 11 19 42 54 0.778 35
17 Stoke City 42 10 15 17 39 56 0.696 35
18 Coventry City 42 9 15 18 44 67 0.657 33
19 Southampton 42 12 7 23 52 80 0.650 31
20 Crystal Palace 42 8 13 21 39 65 0.600 29
21 Nottingham Forest 42 8 9 25 47 81 0.580 25
22 Huddersfield Town 42 6 13 23 27 59 0.458 25

Second Division

Norwich City won the Second Division and were promoted along with Birmingham City. This marked the first time that Norwich City reached the top flight in their history, less than 70 years after the club was founded. Charlton Athletic and Watford were relegated.

Pos Club P W D L F A GA Pts
1 Norwich City 42 21 15 6 60 36 1.667 57
2 Birmingham City 42 19 18 5 60 31 1.935 56
3 Millwall 42 19 17 6 64 46 1.391 55
4 Queens Park Rangers 42 20 14 8 57 28 2.036 54
5 Sunderland 42 17 16 9 67 57 1.175 50
6 Blackpool 42 20 7 15 70 50 1.400 47
7 Burnley 42 20 6 16 70 55 1.273 46
8 Bristol City 42 18 10 14 61 49 1.245 46
9 Middlesbrough 42 19 8 15 50 48 1.042 46
10 Carlisle United 42 17 9 16 61 57 1.070 43
11 Swindon Town 42 15 12 15 47 47 1.000 42
12 Hull City 42 14 10 18 49 53 0.925 38
13 Luton Town 42 10 18 14 43 48 0.896 38
14 Sheffield Wednesday 42 13 12 17 51 58 0.879 38
15 Oxford United 42 12 14 16 43 55 0.782 38
16 Portsmouth 42 12 13 17 59 68 0.868 37
17 Orient 42 14 9 19 50 61 0.820 37
18 Preston North End 42 12 12 18 52 58 0.897 36
19 Cardiff City 42 10 14 18 56 69 0.812 34
20 Fulham 42 12 10 20 45 68 0.662 34
21 Charlton Athletic 42 12 9 21 55 77 0.714 33
22 Watford 42 5 9 28 24 75 0.320 19

Third Division

Aston Villa ended their two-year spell in the Third Division by gaining promotion as champions, and by the end of the decade would be firmly re-established as a First Division club. Brighton & Hove Albion followed Villa into the Second Division, but would not reach the heady heights that the midlanders would experience. Mansfield Town, Barnsley, Torquay United and Bradford City were relegated.

Pos Club P W D L F A GA Pts
1 Aston Villa 46 32 6 8 85 32 2.656 70
2 Brighton & Hove Albion 46 27 11 8 82 47 1.745 65
3 Bournemouth 46 23 16 7 73 37 1.973 62
4 Notts County 46 25 12 9 74 44 1.682 62
5 Rotherham United 46 20 15 11 69 52 1.327 55
6 Bristol Rovers 46 21 12 13 75 56 1.339 54
7 Bolton Wanderers 46 17 16 13 51 41 1.244 50
8 Plymouth Argyle 46 20 10 16 74 64 1.156 50
9 Walsall 46 15 18 13 62 57 1.088 48
10 Blackburn Rovers 46 19 9 18 54 57 0.947 47
11 Oldham Athletic 46 17 11 18 59 63 0.937 45
12 Shrewsbury Town 46 17 10 19 73 65 1.123 44
13 Chesterfield 46 18 8 20 57 57 1.000 44
14 Swansea City 46 17 10 19 46 59 0.780 44
15 Port Vale 46 13 15 18 43 59 0.729 41
16 Wrexham 46 16 8 22 59 63 0.937 40
17 Halifax Town 46 13 12 21 48 61 0.787 38
18 Rochdale 46 12 13 21 57 83 0.687 37
19 York City 46 12 12 22 57 66 0.864 36
20 Tranmere Rovers 46 10 16 20 50 71 0.704 36
21 Mansfield Town 46 8 20 18 41 63 0.651 36
22 Barnsley 46 9 18 19 32 64 0.500 36
23 Torquay United 46 10 12 24 41 69 0.594 32
24 Bradford City 46 11 10 25 45 77 0.584 32

Fourth Division

Grimsby Town, Southend United, Brentford and Scunthorpe United were promoted from the Fourth Division. Barrow were voted out of the Football League and replaced by Hereford United, who a short time earlier had achieved a shock FA Cup victory over Newcastle United.

Ernie Tagg sacked himself as manager of Crewe Alexandra because he felt that a younger manager should take charge of the club.

Pos Club P W D L F A GA Pts
1 Grimsby Town 46 28 7 11 88 56 1.571 63
2 Southend United 46 24 12 10 81 55 1.473 60
3 Brentford 46 24 11 11 76 44 1.727 59
4 Scunthorpe United 46 22 13 11 56 37 1.514 57
5 Lincoln City 46 21 14 11 77 59 1.305 56
6 Workington 46 16 19 11 50 34 1.471 51
7 Southport 46 18 14 14 66 46 1.435 50
8 Peterborough United 46 17 16 13 82 64 1.281 50
9 Bury 46 19 12 15 73 59 1.237 50
10 Cambridge United 46 17 14 15 62 60 1.033 48
11 Colchester United 46 19 10 17 70 69 1.014 48
12 Doncaster Rovers 46 16 14 16 56 63 0.889 46
13 Gillingham 46 16 13 17 61 67 0.910 45
14 Newport County 46 18 8 20 60 72 0.833 44
15 Exeter City 46 16 11 19 61 68 0.897 43
16 Reading 46 17 8 21 56 76 0.737 42
17 Aldershot 46 9 22 15 48 54 0.889 40
18 Hartlepool 46 17 6 23 58 69 0.841 40
19 Darlington 46 14 11 21 64 82 0.780 39
20 Chester 46 10 18 18 47 56 0.839 38
21 Northampton Town 46 12 13 21 66 79 0.835 37
22 Barrow 46 13 11 22 40 71 0.563 37
23 Stockport County 46 9 14 23 55 87 0.632 32
24 Crewe Alexandra 46 10 9 27 43 69 0.623 29

P = Matches played; W = Matches won; D = Matches drawn; L = Matches lost; F = Goals for; A = Goals against; GA = Goal average; Pts = Points |}

FA Cup

Main article: 1971–72 FA Cup

Leeds United won the FA Cup for the first time in their history by beating the previous year's winners, Arsenal, 1–0 in the final at Wembley. Allan Clarke scored the winning goal.[1]

1971–72 marked the centenary of the FA Cup. Non-League Hereford United of the Southern League provided one of the shocks of the season by knocking out Newcastle United 2–1 after extra time in the 3rd Round Replay.

League Cup

Stoke City won the 1972 Football League Cup Final to claim the only major trophy in their history.

European competitions

The 1972 UEFA Cup Final was the final of the first ever UEFA Cup and was contested by two English teams, Wolverhampton Wanderers and Tottenham Hotspur. Spurs won 2–1 in the first leg at the Molineux on 3 May. The second leg, played on 17 May at White Hart Lane, ended 1–1. The 3–2 aggregate win by Tottenham Hotspur gave them the second European trophy in their history [2]

Diary of the season

25 July 1971: On-tour Chelsea beat Swedish Second Division side Halmstad 6-0, Tommy Baldwin scoring a hat-trick.[3]

1 August 1971: Halifax Town beat Manchester United 2-1 in the Watney Cup...Benfica beat Arsenal 2-0 in a friendly in Lisbon.[3]

4 August 1971: Arsenal gain their revenge on Benfica, thrashing them 6-2 at Highbury. The Portuguese attack referee Norman Burtenshaw who in turn reports the entire team to UEFA...Chelsea draw 1-1 with Bruges in Belgium.[3]

7 August 1971: The Charity Shield is contested without reigning League champions and FA Cup winners Arsenal, who are on a pre-season tour abroad. Second Division champions Leicester City beat Cup runners-up Liverpool with a Steve Whitworth goal.[4]...West Bromwich Albion and Colchester United draw 4-4 in the Watney Cup final but the Fourth Division side win on penalties, 18-year-old Phil Bloss scoring from the spot to make sure of the trophy.[3]

9 August 1971: Rangers beat Tottenham Hotspur 1-0 in a friendly in Glasgow.[3]

14 August 1971: The League season opens with double-winners Arsenal beating European Cup-Winners' Cup holders Chelsea 3-0 at Highbury...Kevin Keegan makes his League debut for Liverpool, scoring their first goal in a 3-1 win over Nottingham Forest at Anfield.[3]

17 August 1971: Norman Hunter is booked as Sheffield United beat Leeds United 3-0 at Bramall Lane...'Refs revolution!' is the new slogan. The Football League, in conjunction with the FA, instruct referees to enforce the laws of the game to the letter. Players will be cautioned for technical offences, tactical fouls and deliberate handling while the tackle from behind is outlawed. British football at last falls in line with the continental interpretation of the rules.[3]

18 August 1971: George Best is sent off against Chelsea at Stamford Bridge in a match that Manchester United win 3-2. After the game, Chelsea manager Dave Sexton announces that Peter Osgood is on the transfer list for lack of effort.[3]

20 August 1971: Manchester United beat Arsenal 3-1 in a 'home' match at Anfield to go top of the First Division. Their ground at Old Trafford is closed for two weeks following a knife-throwing incident in a match against Newcastle United in February.[3]

21 August 1971: Osgood plays for Chelsea who draw 2-2 with Manchester City at Stamford Bridge...Sheffield United win 1-0 at Everton to move to the top of the First Division...Malcolm Macdonald scores a hat-trick as Newcastle beat Liverpool 3-2 and Ian Bowyer also scores three for Orient in a 4-1 win over Cardiff City...Experts say that the new 'refs code' is the best thing that has happened to football in the last 10 years. After eight days of the new season, the toll is four sent off, 120 booked.[3]

23 August 1971: West Ham United gain their first point of the season in a goalless draw with Ipswich Town at Upton Park...Manchester United beat WBA 3-1 at Stoke, the second of their rearranged 'home' matches.[3]

24 August 1971: Sheffield United win 1-0 at Highbury to complete successive wins over the League champions of the past three seasons - Leeds, Everton and Arsenal. It's the Gunners' first home League defeat since January 1970...Chelsea are still without a win, beaten 2-0 at Everton.[3]

25 August 1971: Leeds draw 1-1 with Tottenham at Hull, their second draw from two 'home' games. Their stadium at Elland Road is currently closed through an FA ban imposed after incidents last April...Three players are booked at St James' Park in a 0-0 draw between Newcastle and Huddersfield Town - Jimmy Lawson and Frank Worthington (Huddersfield) and Terry Hibbitt (Newcastle)...Notts County beat Orient 3-1 in a League Cup replay.[3]

28 August 1971: Arsenal lose 1-0 at home to Stoke City - their third successive defeat...West Ham and Chelsea both gain their first wins and Sheffield United still lead the First Division...At Selhurst Park, play is held up for five minutes over a disputed Crystal Palace goal. Steve Kember sportingly admits that the ball had not gone in the net and the match against Nottingham Forest ends 1-1...Bernard Purdie of Chester scores the only hat-trick of the day, getting four goals in a 5-1 home win over Gillingham...40 more players are booked.[3]

30 August 1971: Coventry City sign Chris Chilton from Hull City for £92,000 but lose 4-0 to West Ham at Upton Park in the evening.[3]

31 August 1971: 13 more players are booked including PFA chairman Derek Dougan in Wolverhampton Wanderers' home match against Crystal Palace...Sheffield United move three points clear at the top of the First Division with a 3-1 home win over Huddersfield...Manchester United suffer their first League defeat - 1-0 at Everton...In the League Cup, last season's finalists Aston Villa finally beat Wrexham 4-3 in a first round second replay at the Hawthorns...Bournemouth move to the top of the Third Division with a 1-0 home win over Blackburn Rovers.[3]

1 September 1971: Chelsea gain their first home win of the season, beating WBA 1-0...Leeds beat Newcastle 5-1 at Hillsborough...Another 16 players are booked in League matches and Nigel Edwards of Chester is sent off in a 0-0 draw at Aldershot...Tottenham beat Torino 1-0 in Turin in the first leg of the Anglo-Italian League Cup final, Martin Chivers scoring the goal.[3]

4 September 1971: 50 more players are booked - total for the season is now 292...Sheffield United are still top of the First Division following a 3-2 win at Nottingham Forest...Arsenal beat WBA 1-0 at the Hawthorns...Birmingham City beat Charlton Athletic 4-1 at St Andrew's with three goals from striker Bob Latchford...Notts County top the Third Division, winning 2-1 at Walsall with both goals coming from Tony Hateley....Bristol Rovers hit seven at home to Bradford City.[3]

7 September 1971: League Cup second round shocks - Charlton 3 Leicester 1, Coventry 0 Burnley 1 and Huddersfield 0 Bolton Wanderers 2.[3]

8 September 1971: Holders Tottenham win 1-0 at WBA in the second round of the League Cup...West Ham are held to a 1-1 draw at Upton Park by Cardiff.[3]

11 September 1971: Arsenal beat Leeds 2-0 at Highbury but Sheffield United, who draw 2-2 at home to Tottenham, still lead the First Division. Other Division leaders: Bristol City, Notts County and Grimsby Town...Leicester gain their first away win of the season - 2-1 at Ipswich...Ted MacDougall scores a hat-trick in Bournemouth's 4-1 home win over Rochdale.[3]

14 September 1971: Tottenham open Britain's assault on European trophies with a 6-1 away win over Keflavík (Iceland) in the UEFA Cup, Alan Gilzean scoring a hat-trick.[3]

15 September 1971: An active night in European competitions. In the European Cup, Arsenal win 3-1 in Norway against Strømsgodset...Peter Osgood scores a hat-trick for Chelsea who crush Jeunesse Hautcharage 8-0 in Luxembourg in the Cup Winners' Cup. Liverpool are beaten 2-1 by Servette in Switzerland and Cardiff draw 1-1 with Dynamo (East Berlin) in Germany, conceding the equaliser in the last minute...In the UEFA Cup, Leeds win 2-0 away to Lierse (Belgium), Southampton beat Athletic Bilbao 2-1 at the Dell and Wolves beat Académica (Portugal) at Molineux.[3]

17 September 1971: Southend United beat Grimsby 3-1, Billy Best scoring a hat-trick.[3]

18 September 1971: Sheffield United keep their place at the top of the First Division with a 1-0 win at Leicester, Alan Woodward scoring the only goal of the game direct from a corner in the last minute...George Best scores a hat-trick in Manchester United's 4-2 win over West Ham.[3]

22 September 1971: West Ham win 2-1 at Cardiff in a League Cup replay, Geoff Hurst scoring two late goals...In the second leg of the Anglo-Italian League Cup final, Tottenham beat Torino 2-0 with goals by Chivers and Gilzean and win 3-0 on aggregate...In a match played for permanent possession of the old Fairs Cup, Barcelona beat Leeds 2-1 in the Camp Nou.[3]

25 September 1971: Sheffield United are still top of the First Division with a three-point lead after a 1-0 home win over Chelsea...Crystal Palace, with three new players in the side, beat Everton 2-1 at Selhurst Park.[3]

28 September 1971: Tottenham beat Keflavík 9-0 at White Hart Lane in the second leg of their UEFA Cup tie to win 15-1 on aggregate. Martin Chivers nets a hat-trick...Norwich City open a three-point lead at the top of Division Two, beating Preston North End 2-0 at Deepdale...Carl Gilbert scores all of Rotherham United's goals in their 4-0 defeat of Swansea City. Other hat-trick men include Arthur Bellamy in Burnley's 6-1 thumping of Orient, Bob Latchford for Birmingham against Watford and Bobby Owen for Carlisle United against Charlton.[3]

29 September 1971: Chelsea beat Jeunesse Hautcharage 13-0 in their return Cup Winners' Cup match at Stamford Bridge, winning the tie 21-0 on aggregate to set a new record score for competitive European club matches. Peter Osgood scores five times and Tommy Baldwin also hits a hat-trick. Osgood's goals, eight in the tie, equals the individual scoring record...In the European Cup, Arsenal beat Strømsgodset 4-0 at Highbury to win 7-1 on aggregate...Cardiff draw 1-1 at Ninian Park with Dynamo in the Cup Winners' Cup to make the aggregate score 2-2 but lose 5-4 on penalties. Liverpool beat Servette 2-0 at Anfield to win their tie 3-2...In the UEFA Cup, Derek Dougan hits a hat-trick for Wolves who win 4-1 away to Académica and take the tie 7-1. Two English clubs crash, Leeds sensationally going down 4-0 at Elland Road against Lierse to lose 4-2 and Southampton being beaten 2-0 by Bilbao in Spain (aggregate score 2-3)...The Third Division clash between Notts County and Bournemouth ends all square at 1-1.[3]

2 October 1971: Manchester United beat Sheffield United 2-0 at Old Trafford, the Blades' first defeat of the season, and close the gap at the top of the First Division to a single point...In Division Two, Norwich draw 0-0 at home to Queens Park Rangers while Millwall move into third place with a 2-1 home win over Carlisle...John O'Mara scores a hat-trick for Brentford who beat Northampton Town 6-1 while Alf Wood scores five of Shrewsbury Town's goals in their 7-1 home win over Blackburn.[3]

5 October 1971: In the third round of the League Cup, Bolton produce the shock result of the night, winning 3-0 at home to Manchester City with a hat-trick from 20-year-old Garry Jones...Aston Villa fight back to draw 2-2 at Crystal Palace after being 2-0 down and Sheffield United struggle through 3-2 at home to York City, Alan Woodward scoring the winning goal two minutes from time...Liverpool beat Southampton 1-0 at Anfield with a goal from Steve Heighway.[3]

6 October 1971: Holders Tottenham have a comfortable 4-1 win at Torquay United in the League Cup and Arsenal easily beat Newcastle 4-0 at Highbury...In other ties, Chelsea draw 1-1 at Nottingham Forest, Stoke draw 1-1 at Oxford United, Leeds draw 0-0 at West Ham and Manchester United are held 1-1 by Burnley at Old Trafford...Norwich pay £40,000 for Rochdale striker David Cross and win their League Cup tie with Carlisle 4-1 at Carrow Road.[3]

9 October 1971: Sheffield United lose at home for the first time, 3-2 to Stoke, and Manchester United take over as League leaders with a 3-0 win at Huddersfield...WBA win 2-0 at Crystal Palace in a battle at the bottom of the Division with goals from Tony Brown and Bobby Gould.[3]

11 October 1971: League Cup replays - Chelsea beat Nottingham Forest 2-1 and Preston beat Watford 2-1.[3]

13 October 1971: Aston Villa beat Crystal Palace 3-0 in a League Cup replay.[3]

16 October 1971: Manchester United beat Derby County 1-0 at Old Trafford through George Best to stay top of the table. Derby were the last unbeaten side in the First Division...In the Second Division, Norwich beat Luton Town 3-1 at Carrow Road and Millwall win 3-1 against Bristol City at the Den.[3]

19 October 1971: Millwall suffer their first League defeat, losing 1-0 at Middlesbrough to an 88th-minute goal by John Hickton.[3]

20 October 1971: Arsenal win away to Grasshoppers (Zürich) in the European Cup.[3]

23 October 1971: Manchester United win 1-0 at Newcastle with a George Best goal to extend their lead at the top of the First Division...Derby beat Arsenal 2-1 at the Baseball Ground...In Division Two, leaders Norwich suffer their first League defeat, losing 2-1 at second placed Millwall.[3]

26 October 1971: In the League Cup, Blackpool beat Aston Villa 4-1 but the other three ties - Arsenal v Sheffield United, QPR v Bristol Rovers and Grimsby v Norwich - are drawn.[3]

27 October 1971: West Ham beat Liverpool 2-1 in the League Cup but the other three ties are drawn, making a total of six replays necessary. Manchester United draw 1-1 with Stoke at Old Trafford and both Tottenham and Chelsea are held by lower opponents, Preston drawing 1-1 at White Hart Lane and Bolton 1-1 at Stamford Bridge.[3]

29 October 1971: Bournemouth keep up the pressure at the top of the Third Division, beating Mansfield Town 5-0 away, Ted MacDougall scoring a hat-trick.[3]

30 October 1971: Manchester United lose their unbeaten record at Old Trafford, going down 1-0 to Leeds...Derby maintain their challenge with a 2-0 win at Nottingham Forest.[3]

2 November 1971: In the UEFA Cup, Tottenham beat Nantes (France) 1-0 at White Hart Lane with a goal from Martin Peters and win the tie by the same score...Bristol Rovers beat QPR 1-0 in their replayed League Cup tie.[3]

3 November 1971: European Cup Winners' Cup holders Chelsea are knocked out of the tournament after being held to a 1-1 draw by the Swedish team Åtvidaberg at Stamford Bridge. With the aggregate score 1-1, Chelsea lose on the away goals rule. Liverpool are beaten in the same competition, losing 3-1 to Bayern Munich...In the European Cup, Arsenal beat Grasshoppers 3-0 at Highbury and Wolves beat ADO The Hague 4-0 at Molineux in the UEFA Cup with a goal by Derek Dougan and three own goals.[3]

6 November 1971: Manchester City and Manchester United draw 3-3 at Maine Road in a big First Division game with 17-year-old debutant Sammy McIlroy on the scoresheet for United[5]...Derby beat Crystal Palace 3-0 to stay in second place...Norwich win 2-1 at Hull to maintain their lead in the Second Division with Millwall, 3-2 winners over Watford, in second place...In the Third Division, Bournemouth and Notts County both win to move five and four points clear of the rest of the field.[3]

8 November 1971: In League Cup replays, Chelsea win 6-0 at Bolton with Tommy Baldwin scoring a hat-trick, Tottenham win 2-1 at Preston after extra time and Sheffield United beat Arsenal 2-0 but Stoke and Manchester United are deadlocked at 0-0 after extra time.[3]

13 November 1971: Manchester United stay top of the First Division, beating Tottenham 3-1 at Old Trafford.[3]

15 November 1971: In their League Cup second replay, Stoke eventually beat Manchester United 2-1 at the Victoria Ground.[3]

17 November 1971: League Cup quarter-finals: Tottenham have a comfortable 2-0 home win over Blackpool and Chelsea gain an excellent 1-0 victory at Second Division leaders Norwich with a goal by Peter Osgood...At Upton Park, West Ham run riot, beating Sheffield United 5-0 with a hat-trick from Bryan Robson.[3]

20 November 1971: Manchester United, with a 3-2 home win over Leicester, still lead the First Division. Denis Law scores twice for United...Derby, in second place, win 3-0 at home to Sheffield United and Manchester City win 2-0 at West Ham...Arsenal crash 5-1 at Wolves after being 1-0 up at half-time and Everton thrash Southampton 8-0 at Goodison Park, Joe Royle scoring four times and David Johnson collecting a hat-trick...In the FA Cup, Ted MacDougall sets a new scoring record with nine goals in Bournemouth's 11-0 home win over Southern League Margate...Brighton and Hove Albion beat Hillingdon Borough 7-1 while Colchester, last year's shock winners over Leeds, are beaten 4-1 at home by Shrewsbury...Aston Villa lose 1-0 at Southend while non-League clubs to progress include Wigan Athletic, who beat Halifax 2-1, and amateurs Blyth Spartans, who win 1-0 at Crewe Alexandra.[3]

22 November 1971: In FA Cup replays, Port Vale beat Blackburn 3-1, Peterborough United beat Redditch United 6-0, Mansfield beat Chester 4-3 and Swansea win 3-2 at Brentford...In a fourth qualifying round fifth replay, Alvechurch beat Oxford City 1-0 at Villa Park. The two teams had played a total of 11 hours, a new record.[3]

23 November 1971: In the League Cup, Stoke qualify for the semi-finals with a 4-2 away win over Bristol Rovers...Rotherham beat Frickley Colliery 4-0 in an FA Cup replay.[3]

24 November 1971: Bertie Mee drops Charlie George and Sammy Nelson from the Arsenal team to play Tottenham at White Hart Lane. Result: a 1-1 draw...Wolves produce a good result in the UEFA Cup, winning 1-0 in East Germany against Carl Zeiss Jena with a goal from John Richards...Aldershot beat Alvechurch 4-2 in the first round of the FA Cup...Derby beat Newcastle 1-0 at home in the first leg of the Texaco Cup semi-final and Airdrieonians win 3-0 at Ballymena United in the other tie.[3]

27 November 1971: George Best scores a hat-trick for Manchester United who maintain their lead at the top of the First Division with a 5-2 win at Southampton...Manchester City beat Coventry and are in second position...At the top of Division Two, Norwich win 2-0 at home to Middlesbrough but Millwall drop a point in a 0-0 draw at Hull.[3]

29 November 1971: South Shields gain a 3-2 win at Scunthorpe United in an FA Cup replay to earn a home Second Round tie with Notts County.[3]

4 December 1971: Manchester United move five points clear at the top of the First Division with a 3-2 home win over Nottingham Forest...Derby, with a 3-1 home win over Manchester City, move into joint second place with City and Leeds who have a comfortable 3-0 home win over WBA...Crystal Palace produce the shock result, beating Sheffield United 5-1 at Selhurst Park to pull themselves at last off the bottom of the table...In the Second Division, Eamon Dunphy salvages a point for Millwall, scoring a late goal to give them a 1-1 draw against Burnley at the Den.[3]

8 December 1971: In the UEFA Cup, Tottenham beat Rapid Bucharest 3-0 at White Hart Lane. Goalkeeper Necula Răducanu clowns his way through a tragi-comedy of a match - violence mixed with farce in an uneasy fashion...Wolves beat Carl Zeiss Jena 3-0 (4-0 agg.). With two goals, Derek Dougan breaks Wolves' individual scoring record in European competitions, his eight goals so far in the competition taking him past Peter Broadbent's total of seven...West Ham win 2-1 at Stoke in the first leg of the League Cup semi-final...In the Texaco Cup semi-finals, Airdrieonians qualify with a 4-3 win (7-3 agg.) over Ballymena to meet Derby, who beat Newcastle 3-2 after extra-time, 4-2 on aggregate.[3]

11 December 1971: Manchester United's lead at the top of the First Division is cut to four points by their neighbours City. United draw 1-1 at Stoke but City beat Ipswich 4-0 at Maine Road...Liverpool beat Derby 3-2 at Anfield with a hat-trick from Jack Whitham and Leeds draw 0-0 with Chelsea at Stamford Bridge...Crystal Palace, who win 1-0 at Huddersfield, and Nottingham Forest, who beat Everton 1-0, pull ahead of WBA who are beaten 3-0 at home by Newcastle and are now three points adrift...Division Two leaders Norwich drop a home point to bottom club Watford who equalise 30 seconds from the end through their new £7000 signing from Crewe, Pat Morrissey...Millwall lose 4-0 at Preston and QPR close the gap at the top with a 4-1 win at Carlisle, Rodney Marsh scoring twice...In the second round of the FA Cup, non-League clubs to win are Boston United, who beat Hartlepool United 2-1, and Blyth Spartans, who beat Stockport County...Hereford United hold Northampton to a 0-0 draw...Barnet (v Torquay) and South Shields (v Notts County) both take early leads in their matches but lose 4-1 and 3-1 respectively...Bournemouth's Ted MacDougall scores in their 2-0 home win over Southend - his 31st goal of the season.[3]

13 December 1971: Rotherham United win 3-2 after extra time at York in their FA Cup replay.[3]

14 December 1971: Tottenham win their UEFA Cup tie against Rapid Bucharest 2-0 in a vicious game in Romania with goals by Jimmy Pearce and Martin Chivers. Pearce, a second-half substitute for Alan Gilzean, is only on the field for 10 minutes, scoring a goal, having another disallowed and then being sent off for retaliation along with Rapid full-back Pop. After the match, Tottenham manager Bill Nicholson says, "If this is European football, we are better out of it. I haven't seen a dirtier game in 30 years."[3]

15 December 1971: Stoke save their League Cup semi-final with West Ham in dramatic style at Upton Park. With only three minutes of extra time remaining, Banks is penalised for bringing down Harry Redknapp but the England 'keeper brilliantly saves Geoff Hurst's penalty to make a third match necessary after a 1-0 win.[3]

17 December 1971: Peter Bonetti is carried off with an ankle injury in Chelsea's 1-1 draw at Coventry, David Webb playing in goal for an hour.[3]

18 December 1971: Both Manchester clubs drop points, United at Ipswich (0-0) and City surprisingly at home to Leicester (1-1)...Leeds draw 1-1 at Crystal Palace in a hard-fought game and Derby close the gap with a 2-0 home win over Everton...WBA, adrift at the bottom of the table, lose 2-0 to Don Howe's old club Arsenal at Highbury...In the Second Division, leaders Norwich crash 3-0 at Carlise to a Stan Bowles hat-trick and Millwall stage a dramatic comeback to draw 3-3 at Sunderland after being 3-1 down with five minutes left...QPR close the gap with a 3-0 home win over Swindon Town.[3]

20 December 1971: Southern League side Hereford earn a third round FA Cup tie at Newcastle by beating Northampton 2-1 after extra time of their second replay, held at the Hawthorns - Hereford's second FA Cup success against Northampton in consecutive seasons.[3]

21 December 1971: The impending transfer of Alan Ball for £200,000 plus is leaked. Ball is rumoured to be joining Arsenal from Everton.

22 December 1971: After further talks with manager Bertie Mee, Alan Ball signs for Arsenal for £220,000...In the first leg of the League Cup semi-final, Chelsea beat Tottenham 3-2 at Stamford Bridge. Peter Osgood opens the scoring but in the second half Tottenham hit two in three minutes through Terry Naylor and Martin Chivers. Chelsea stage a great comeback, scoring twice in the last 15 minutes through Chris Garland (his first goal for the club) and John Hollins (a penalty after handball by Naylor).[3]

27 December 1971: Manchester United drop a home point in a 2-2 draw with Coventry. Young and a Dunne own goal shoot Coventry into a 2-0 lead but goals from Law and James in the closing stages give United a point. Five Coventry players not 10 yards from a free kick are booked...Alan Ball makes a quiet debut for Arsenal in a 1-1 draw at Nottingham Forest...Manchester City close the gap at the top of the table to three points with a 3-1 win at Stoke...At Stamford Bridge, Chelsea are forced to play David Webb in goal against Ipswich but still manage to win 2-0. Regular 'keeper Peter Bonetti and deputy John Phillips are out with injury and despite a motorway dash 'A' team goalkeeper Steve Sherwood arrives too late.[3]

31 December 1971: Derby manager Brian Clough unleashes an attack on his players: "We are not big enough and strong enough to dish it out when it needs to be dished out."

1 January 1972: First goal of the year is scored by Dave Lennard of Blackpool 30 seconds after the kick-off against Watford...Manchester United are well beaten 3-0 at West Ham and Leeds' 2-0 win at Liverpool boosts their hopes...Derby respond to Brian Clough's attack with a 1-0 win at home to Chelsea for whom 18-year-old Steve Sherwood makes his debut in goal...QPR keep up the pressure on the leaders in the Second Division with a 3-1 win over Burnley, Mick Leach scoring twice.[3]

5 January 1972: In the League Cup semi-final, Chelsea win their way through to Wembley with a 2-2 draw at Tottenham. Chivers and Peters (penalty) twice put Tottenham ahead but Chris Garland and Alan Hudson, who conceded the penalty, twice equalise. Hudson's goal, direct from a free-kick, was scored only two minutes from time...At Hillsborough, Stoke and West Ham draw 0-0 after extra time and a second replay is fixed for Old Trafford.[3]

8 January 1972: Manchester United, without George Best, lose 3-1 at home to sixth-placed Wolves who win with goals by Dougan, Richards and McCalliog (penalty). Sammy McIlroy, Best's replacement, scores United's only goal five minutes from time...Manchester City and Leeds both draw and move a point closer, City 1-1 at Tottenham and Leeds surprisingly 2-2 v Ipswich at Elland Road. Ipswich were 2-0 up and Allan Clarke scored a controversial equalising goal seven minutes from time with a swerving shot...At the bottom of the table, Willie Wallace gives Crystal Palace both points at Nottingham Forest while WBA draw 2-2 with Sheffield United at home...In the Second Division, Norwich move five points clear with a 2-1 home win over Fulham, Ken Foggo scoring their winner 20 seconds from time...Millwall and QPR draw 0-0 in a top of the table clash at the Den.[3]

15 January 1972: The Third Round of the FA Cup produces few surprises. Cardiff beat Sheffield United at Bramall Lane and Hull win 3-0 at Norwich...Amateurs Blyth Spartans force a replay, drawing 2-2 with Reading, and Bobby Moore is carried off after 10 minutes of West Ham's tie against Luton...John Hughes of Crystal Palace is sent off by referee Tommy Dawes against Everton in a hard game at Selhurst Park which was nearly abandoned due to spectator invasions of the pitch. Five players were booked...Both '71 finalists open with convincing away victories, Arsenal 2-0 at Swindon with Alan Ball scoring his first for the club and Liverpool 3-0 at Oxford.[3]

18 January 1972: In their FA Cup replay, Middlesbrough beat Manchester City 1-0.[3]

19 January 1972: In FA Cup replays, Reading beat Blyth Spartans 6-1 and George Best plays a brilliant game to steer Manchester United to a 4-1 extra time win over Southampton.[3]

22 January 1972: Chelsea topple Manchester United from the top of the First Division, winning 1-0 at Old Trafford with a goal by Peter Osgood to enable Leeds to take over the leadership...Aston Villa take over as new leaders of the Third Division.[3]

24 January 1972: Southern League Hereford produce the shock of the FA Cup so far, holding Newcastle to a 2-2 draw at St James' Park.[3]

26 January 1972: Stoke reach a Wembley final for the first time in their history, beating West Ham 3-2 in the second replay of the League Cup semi-final at Old Trafford. Goalkeeper Bobby Ferguson is injured in an early collision with Terry Conroy and Bobby Moore takes over in goal. Shortly afterwards, Stoke take the lead with a penalty by Mike Bernard. West Ham, with ten men, equalise with a deflected shot by Billy Bonds and, after Ferguson's return, take the lead through Trevor Brooking. Minutes before half-time, Stoke get back on terms through Peter Dobing. In the second half, Conroy scores quickly to put Stoke back in front. After the match, Hammers manager Ron Greenwood says that Bobby Ferguson was so badly concussed in the collision with Terry Conroy that he "has no recollection whatsoever of the tie. He doesn't know even now where he is." Greenwood then blasts Stoke by saying, "Their attitude towards my injured goalkeeper in the second half was not what I would call good sportsmanship." Stoke manager Tony Waddington says, "After this, Wembley could be something of an anticlimax. It's a shame either side had to lose such a game. It was out of this world."[3]

28 January 1972: Aston Villa win 1-0 at Tranmere Rovers and still head the Third Division.[3]

29 January 1972: Manchester City move two points clear at the top of the First Division, beating Wolves 5-2 at Maine Road, Francis Lee scoring a hat-trick...Leeds lose 1-0 at Tottenham to a Martin Chivers goal after a defensive blunder...Derby beat Coventry at the Baseball Ground with a goal from John Robson in the first minute of the second half and stay in third place while Manchester United's poor run continues at West Bromwich. After taking an early lead through Brian Kidd, United are forced back by sustained Albion pressure. Bobby Gould scores the equaliser and their winner comes from the recalled Jeff Astle...The bottom two places in the Division are filled by Nottingham Forest, who lose 4-1 at Southampton, and Crystal Palace, who go down by the same score at Liverpool. Chris Lawler scores twice to reach 50 goals for the club - none from penalties...Charlie George returns to the Arsenal side and scores twice in their 5-0 win at Sheffield United...In the Second Division, Norwich slip, losing 1-0 at Burnley, and Millwall move into second place with a 1-0 home win over Middlesbrough...QPR are held to a 1-1 draw at Luton and Birmingham move into fourth place with a 4-1 home win over Swindon...Watford lose 4-0 at Hull and look doomed to relegation, now five points adrift of Cardiff who also lose, 4-3 at home to Blackpool...In Division Three, Notts County beat Blackburn 1-0 at home and Bournemouth draw 1-1 at Port Vale...Brentford slip to second in the Fourth Division, losing 2-0 at home to Reading, Scunthorpe taking over the leadership.[3]

5 February 1972: FA Cup sensation: non-League Hereford knock out Newcastle 2-1 in extra time...Other surprises - Orient win at Leicester and Hull triumph at Coventry...Holders Arsenal squeeze through with a narrow 2-1 win at Reading...Chelsea have a good day. The team beat Bolton 3-0, Dave Sexton is selected as the Manager of the Month and David Webb is the Evening Standard's Player of the Month...Ipswich lose 1-0 at Birmingham but their manager Bobby Robson says, "Diabolical refereeing cost us the game!"[3]

8 February 1972: Middlesbrough beat Millwall 2-1 in a Cup replay - Nobby Stiles will be going back to Old Trafford to face his former club in the next round...Charlton's biggest crowd of the season - 16,000 - turn up for Keith Peacock's benefit match. The score - Charlton 2 Chelsea 4...Result of another friendly - Sheffield United 1 Dynamo Kiev 2.[3]

9 February 1972: Hereford hold West Ham to a 0-0 draw...Ron Yeats of Tranmere is sent off against Stoke in a Cup replay and the First Division team win 2-0.[3]

12 February 1972: Two Charlie George goals give Arsenal the points against Derby. Now the Gunners are only four points behind leaders Manchester City who draw at Sheffield United. Trevor Hockey is taken to hospital with a cracked leg after 40 minutes play...48,110 people, the highest Third Division gate in the history of the League, attend the Aston Villa v Bournemouth promotion clash.[3]

14 February 1972: West Ham end Hereford's heroic run in the FA Cup with a 3-1 win at Upton Park in the fourth round replay with Geoff Hurst scoring a hat-trick. Despite the afternoon kick-off, the attendance is 42,271 - only 500 less than the ground record...Sunderland and Cardiff finish 1-1 after extra time and the teams will meet again on Wednesday.[3]

16 February 1971: Cardiff beat Sunderland 3-1 in a Cup replay and will face Leeds in the next round.[3]

19 February 1972: John Dempsey criticises Dave Sexton for leaving him out of the Chelsea team. The Blues beat Leicester 2-1 with two Osgood goals...Leeds, playing brilliantly, thrash Manchester United 5-1 - Mick Jones contributes a hat-trick...George gets the winner for Arsenal at Ipswich - 1-0...Manchester City are still on top following a narrow win over Huddersfield.[3]

21 February 1972: Aston Villa beat Santos 2-1 in a friendly. 54,437 turn up to see Pelé in action.[3]

23 February 1972: Santos beat Sheffield Wednesday 2-0 in a friendly at Hillsborough.[3]

26 February 1972: Orient are the heroes of the fifth round of the FA Cup. They beat Chelsea 3-2 after being two goals down. The winner is scored by Barrie Fairbrother in the 89th minute. After the goal, Chelsea supporters invade the pitch trying for an abandonment but police force them back behind the touchline...Tottenham win at Everton and Leeds at Cardiff...Stiles returns to Old Trafford as the skipper of Middlesbrough and the match is a goalless draw...Liverpool beat Manchester City 3-0 in a First Division match and the title is wide open. "Any one from eight", says Don Revie.[3]

29 February 1972: Ticket touts make a killing at Highbury, collecting £20 for £1 seats. The score: Arsenal 0 Derby 0 after extra time...Manchester United beat Middlesbrough 3-0 away and will meet Stoke in the quarter-final...Fulham open their new £200,000 stand and beat Benfica 3-2 in a friendly.[3]

1 March 1972: Manchester City go four points clear after beating WBA 2-1 with goals by Colin Bell.[3]

3 March 1972: Derby announce that they have signed Ian Storey-Moore for a record transfer fee.

4 March 1972: Confusion over the Storey-Moore transfer deal. While the Derby manager introduces him to the crowd at the Baseball Ground, Nottingham Forest are adamant that Storey-Moore is still a Forest player and Manchester United manager O'Farrell is confident of landing him...Stoke win the League Cup at Wembley, beating Chelsea 2-1 (Conroy, Eastham - Osgood), their first major honour in 109 years of competitive football...Six players are booked at Manchester where City beat Arsenal 2-0...Liverpool win the Merseyside derby against Everton 4-0 with two own goals. Lawler and Hughes are the other scorers...Birmingham beat Norwich 4-0 and the Second Division promotion race is wide open.[3]

6 March 1972: Ian Storey-Moore signs for Manchester United after a great deal of contradictory statements from the three clubs involved. The fee: £200,000.

7 March 1972: Good start for England in the European tournaments. Wolves draw 1-1 against Juventus in Turin and Tottenham beat UTA Arad in Romania. Knowles and Chivers are booked.[3]

8 April 1972: Arsenal lose 2-1 v Ajax in Amsterdam in the European Cup.[3]

11 March 1972: Jack Charlton makes his 600th League appearance for Leeds. Before the match against Coventry, he is given presents by teammates and management and in the 12th minute he scores the only goal...Ian Storey-Moore opens his account for Manchester United - the 2-0 win against Huddersfield is their first in the League since 4 December...Derby win at Tottenham with a Hinton penalty and Manchester City get two points at Everton. The League race now seems to rest between the top three teams - City, Leeds and Derby...All the promotion candidates draw in Division Two - Millwall and Norwich are still in front.[3]

13 March 1972: Arsenal beat Derby 1-0 in a fifth round second replay at Leicester with a goal scored by Ray Kennedy.[3]

15 March 1972: Tony Currie of Sheffield United scores two goals at Middlesbrough in the Football League's 3-2 win over the Scottish Football League...Brighton lose at home to Oldham Athletic and fall back in the Third Division promotion race.[3]

18 March 1972: Arsenal beat Orient 1-0 in the FA Cup quarter-final...Leeds and Birmingham also reach the semi-finals...In the League, Manchester City stretch their lead to five points with a 1-0 win over Chelsea...Nottingham Forest seem doomed after their 4-2 defeat at Upton Park...Terry Paine of Southampton is sent off at Ipswich.[3]

21 March 1972: Tottenham draw 1-1 with UTA Arad and go into the semi-finals of the UEFA Cup.[3]

22 March 1972: Ajax beat Arsenal 1-0 at Highbury and the holders are in the European Cup semi-finals with Celtic, Benfica and Inter Milan.[3]

25 March 1972: Good day for Leeds. While they beat Arsenal 3-0 at Elland Road, both of their chief rivals in the title race (Manchester City and Derby) collect only one point each in away fixtures...Norwich and Millwall are still leading the promotion race in Division Two and Brighton close the gap in Division Three by beating Aston Villa.[3]

27 March 1972: Leeds beat Nottingham Forest 6-1 and are now only two points behind leaders Manchester City.[3]

28 March 1972: Sheffield Wednesday have to call in a Sunday League goalkeeper, Trevor Pearson, to face Fulham - both regular 'keepers Springett and Grummitt are injured...Peter Marinello scores his first League goal of the season in Arsenal's 1-0 win over Southampton.[3]

31 March 1972: Good Friday match at Upton Park: West Ham 2 Leeds 2. Gray scores twice to equalise first half goals by Bonds and Hurst...Birmingham continue to climb the Second Division table by beating Oxford 1-0.[3]

1 April 1972: Derby beat Leeds 2–0 and go top of the First Division as Manchester City unexpectedly lose at home to Stoke...Promotion candidates Millwall lose at Fulham...Bournemouth draw with Brighton in a vital Third Division promotion clash.[3]

3 April 1972: Derby unexpectedly lose 1-0 at home to Newcastle...Norwich draw with QPR at Loftus Road...Liverpool triumph 3-0 at Old Trafford and are back in the championship race...Blackpool's Dave Hatton and the Middlesbrough forward Johnny Vincent are sent off after a punch-up. The two players resume their fighting in the dressing room tunnel and have to be separated by members of the ground staff.[3]

4 April 1972: Southampton beat Manchester City 2-0, a vitally important result at both ends of the table.[3]

5 April 1972: Wolves collect a draw at Ferencváros and Spurs narrowly beat Milan in the UEFA Cup. Sogliano was sent off in this match for dissent by referee Iglesias...Derby are still top of the League after a goalless draw at West Bromwich but Leeds beat Huddersfield 3-1 and are the latest favourites to win the title.[3]

8 April 1972: 'Paper form' day in the First Division. All four championship contenders win and all the relegation candidates lose...Leeds full-back Terry Cooper breaks his left leg at Stoke minutes before the final whistle.[3]

10 April 1972: Stoke field nine reserves in a league match v Nottingham Forest and lose at home 2-0. Alan Hardaker says that the teamsheet will be examined and there might be an enquiry.[3]

11 April 1972: Over 56,000 people attend Roger Hunt's testimonial match at Anfield...Crystal Palace grab a vital point while Huddersfield lose at home to Coventry.[3]

12 April 1972: Manchester City beat local rivals United 3-1. Francis Lee establishes a new post-war club scoring record and is now on 32.[3]

15 April 1972: Football history repeats itself - the Arsenal v Stoke FA Cup semi-final ends in a draw exactly like last season. Goalkeeper Bob Wilson is taken off with a torn cartilage 17 minutes from the end, John Radford taking over in goal. Wilson is out for the rest of the season and so is Osgood who is injured against Tottenham...Leeds win the other semi-final 3-0 and will go to Wembley for the second time in three seasons.[3]

19 April 1972: Arsenal beat Stoke 2-1 in the FA Cup replay and go to Wembley as holders of the trophy...There will be an all-English final in the UEFA Cup - Tottenham and Wolves manage to knock out Milan and Ferencvaros...Leeds are beaten at Newcastle and Derby are the bookmakers' latest favourites for the title.[3]

22 April 1972: Manchester City beat Derby 2-0 in their last league match of the season but with only 57 points cannot win the title...Huddersfield lose at home and are certain to be relegated into Division Two...Grimsby are the first club definitely promoted from the Fourth Division.[3]

24 April 1972: Norwich win 2-1 at Orient and are promoted to the First Division for the first time in their 67 years' history...Both Aston Villa and Brentford are certain to be promoted to Divisions Two and Three respectively.[3]

25 April 1972: Tonight's results mean almost certain relegation for Nottingham Forest and definite promotion for Southend.[3]

26 April 1972: Crystal Palace beat Stoke 2-0 and ensure their First Division future. Nottingham Forest and Huddersfield are relegated - the latter after only two seasons back in the top flight...Lincoln City's goalless draw with bottom of the table Crewe means that Scunthorpe are now certain to join Brentford, Southend and Grimsby in promotion to Division Three...Bournemouth falter in their bid for a place in the Second Division while both Brighton and Notts County win their matches...Derby win the Texaco Cup by beating Airdrieonians 2-1 on aggregate in the final.[3]

29 April 1972: After 37 years in the top two divisions, Charlton are relegated to the Third...Both Millwall and Birmingham win - the issue now depends on the result of next Tuesday's Orient v Birmingham match...Ted MacDougall scores for Bournemouth and is the League's leading scorer for the season with 35 goals. Alf Wood of Shrewsbury is also credited with another goal to take him to 35.[3]

1 May 1972: Leeds beat Chelsea 2–0 and need only one more point to make sure of the League championship. Their last game against Wolves is scheduled for the Monday after the Cup final...Derby beat Liverpool with a John McGovern goal and are top of the table.[3]

2 May 1972: Geoff Hurst and George Best both score in Uwe Seeler's benefit match at Hamburg. The European Selection win 7-3...Birmingham win 1-0 at Orient and are promoted to Division One. Latchford scores the winning goal in a match played in front of over 33,000 people. During the incident-packed evening, supporters of promotion rivals Millwall invade the pitch hoping for an abandonment. At the end, a stand has to be evacuated due to a bomb scare and fights break out between Birmingham and Millwall fans.[3]

3 May 1972: Brighton make sure of promotion with a 1-1 home draw against Rochdale...Southend clinch second place in Division Four...QPR win the Evening Standard five-a-side trophy by beating Southampton 3-2 after extra time in the final...The first leg of an all-England UEFA Cup final is played at Molineux. Tottenham win 2-1 with two excellent goals scored by Martin Chivers. McCalliog is the Wolves scorer but man of the match Pat Jennings prevents the home team from equalising with several stunning saves.[3]

6 May 1972: Leeds United win the centenary Cup final with an Allan Clarke goal scored in the 53rd minute. Shortly after the match, the team leaves for Wolverhampton to prepare for the decisive League match. Mick Jones dislocates his elbow in the last minute of the game and is taken off on a stretcher after collecting his medal from the Queen.[3]

8 May 1972: A fantastic night of League football. Leeds lose 2-1 at Wolves and Liverpool draw 0-0 at Highbury. Derby are the champions for the first time in their history with 58 points followed by three clubs on 57. Bill Shankly claims that Toshack was not offside when he scored two minutes from the end and Don Revie says that his his team should have had two penalties for handling offences.[3]

11 May 1972: Tottenham beat Arsenal 2–0 at Highbury in the last Division One match of the season.[3]

17 May 1972: Tottenham beat Wolves in the UEFA Cup on a 3-2 aggregate and become the first English club to win two different European trophies. Mullery puts Spurs in front at White Hart Lane and Dave Wagstaffe equalises from a long-range shot - 1-1.[3]

2 June 1972: FA Cup giant-killers Hereford are elected to the Fourth Division at the annual meeting of the Football League in London. They replace Barrow who fail in a second ballot after the two clubs tie on the first count with 26 votes each. In the second ballot, Hereford gain 29 to Barrow's 20. Northampton (49 votes), Crewe (46) and Stockport are re-elected. Hereford's player manager Colin Addison, who will miss the start of the season through suspension, promises a "determined and dedicated effort from all at Edgar Street to put us on the map in League football." With a catchment area of 200,000, gates of 6000 and a profit made on the season of £16,500, Hereford have a good basis for success.[3]

Star players

Star managers

National team

England were eliminated from the 1972 European Championships in the quarter-finals after losing 3–1 on aggregate over two legs (1–3 at Wembley and 0–0 in West Berlin) to West Germany, who went on to win the tournament.


Competition Winner Runner-up
First Division Derby County (1) Leeds United
Second Division Norwich City Birmingham City
Third Division Aston Villa Brighton & Hove Albion
Fourth Division Grimsby Town Southend United
FA Cup Leeds United (1) Arsenal
League Cup Stoke City (1) Chelsea
Charity Shield Leicester City Liverpool
Home Championship Shared by  England and  Scotland

Notes = Number in parentheses is the times that club has won that honour. * indicates new record for competition


  1. ^ "FA Cup Final 1972". Fa-cupfinals.co.uk. Archived from the original on 8 June 2008. Retrieved 2011-04-09. 
  2. ^ "1972 UEFA Cup Final". Spurs Memorabilia. Retrieved 2011-04-09. 
  3. ^ a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z aa ab ac ad ae af ag ah ai aj ak al am an ao ap aq ar as at au av aw ax ay az ba bb bc bd be bf bg bh bi bj bk bl bm bn bo bp bq br bs bt bu bv bw bx by bz ca cb cc cd ce cf cg ch ci cj ck cl cm cn co cp cq cr cs ct cu cv cw cx cy cz da db dc dd de df dg dh di dj dk dl dm dn do dp dq dr ds dt du dv Rothmans Football Yearbook 1972-73. London N1: Queen Anne Press. ISBN 0362001073. 
  4. ^ Miller, Nick (4 August 2016). "The forgotten story of … Leicester City winning the 1971 Charity Shield". theguardian.com. Guardian Media Group. Retrieved 5 August 2016. 
  5. ^ Ley, John (10 November 2010). "Top 10: Manchester derbies". Telegraph. Retrieved 2011-04-09. 
Retrieved from "https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=1971–72_in_English_football&oldid=767401129"
This content was retrieved from Wikipedia : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1971–72_in_English_football
This page is based on the copyrighted Wikipedia article "1971–72 in English football"; it is used under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License (CC-BY-SA). You may redistribute it, verbatim or modified, providing that you comply with the terms of the CC-BY-SA