1966 VFL Grand Final

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to navigation Jump to search

1966 VFL Grand Final
Collingwood icon.svg
AFL St Kilda Icon.jpg
St Kilda
10.13 (73) 10.14 (74)
1 2 3 4
COLL 2.1 (13) 5.7 (37) 7.11 (53) 10.13 (73)
STK 2.5 (17) 5.6 (36) 8.9 (57) 10.14 (74)
Date 24 September 1966
Stadium Melbourne Cricket Ground, Melbourne, Australia
Attendance 102,055
Broadcast in Australia
Commentators Butch Gale, Ted Whitten, Mike Williamson.
← 1965 VFL Grand Final 1967 →

The 1966 VFL Grand Final was an Australian rules football game contested between the Collingwood Football Club and St Kilda Football Club, held at the Melbourne Cricket Ground in Melbourne on 24 September 1966. It was the 70th annual grand final of the Victorian Football League (VFL), staged to determine the premiers for the 1966 VFL season. The match, attended by 102,055 spectators, was won by St Kilda by a margin of one point, marking that club's first and only premiership victory to date.

Match summary

Twenty-five minutes into the final quarter and with scores level, Collingwood's Wayne Richardson had a shot at goal on the run but kicked it out of bounds on the full. St Kilda then began to work the ball out of defence after winning the boundary throw-in. A kick from Ian Cooper saw the ball make its way to centre half forward. Collingwood defender Ted Potter failed to mark the ball low down and with the players scrummaging for the ball a bounce was called. Brian Mynott won the tap for the Saints but it was intercepted by Potter who was quickly tackled. Potter however managed to get out a hand pass but it found its way to St Kilda's Barry Breen who snapped at goal and kicked a behind to put his side in front. With about a minute left on the clock, Collingwood were able to work the ball towards their forward line. Bob Murray, however, was able to take a mark at centre half back and the siren sounded after he kicked the ball towards the wing.

One of the timekeepers was an avid St Kilda fan and blew the final siren for more than ten seconds.[1]


St Kilda
B: 1 Rodger Head 6 Bob Murray 13 Brian Sierakowski
HB: 16 Verdun Howell 9 Ian Synman 24 John Bingley
C: 36 Jeff Moran 5 Ian Stewart 21 Jim Read
HF: 15 Ian Cooper 4 Darrel Baldock (c) 27 Barry Breen
F: 8 Alan Morrow 18 Kevin Neale 19 Allan Davis
Foll: 2 Brian Mynott 25 Daryl Griffiths 3 Ross Smith
Reserve(s): 31 Travis Payze 22 Kevin Billing
Coach: Allan Jeans
B: 35 Ian Montgomery 8 Peter Boyne 5 Terry Waters
HB: 13 Laurie Hill 15 Ted Potter 33 Lee Adamson
C: 17 Peter Patterson 9 Colin Tully 12 Errol Hutchesson
HF: 1 Des Tuddenham (c) 16 Doug Searl 21 Max Pitt
F: 3 Ray Gabelich 7 Ian Graham 36 Gary Wallis
Foll: 28 Len Thompson 29 Kevin Rose 18 Wayne Richardson
Reserve(s): 2 Trevor Steer 4 John Henderson
Coach: Bob Rose

Umpire – Jeff Crouch



1966 VFL Grand Final
Saturday, 24 September 2:50pm Collingwood def. by St Kilda MCG (crowd: 102,055)
2.1 (13)
5.7 (37)
7.11 (53)
 10.13 (73)
2.5 (17)
5.6 (36)
8.9 (57)
 10.14 (74)
Umpires: Crouch
Television broadcast: Seven Network
Tuddenham 3
Gabelich, Richardson 2
Graham, Pitt, Wallis 1
Goals 5 Neale
2 Baldock
1 Cooper, Griffiths, Moran
Waters, Richardson, Thompson, Patterson, Pitt, Tuddenham Best Cooper, Stewart, Sierakowski, Griffiths, Breen, Morrow, Neale


  1. ^ Jim Main, Aussie Rules for dummies (2nd edition, 2008) p 20.

External links

  • Australian Football article on the grand final

See also

Retrieved from "https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=1966_VFL_Grand_Final&oldid=870385290"
This content was retrieved from Wikipedia : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1966_VFL_Grand_Final
This page is based on the copyrighted Wikipedia article "1966 VFL Grand Final"; it is used under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License (CC-BY-SA). You may redistribute it, verbatim or modified, providing that you comply with the terms of the CC-BY-SA